To work on the actual location I think is great. This thing of going to Canada and pretending you’re in New York, it’s terrible. – Jessica Lange
When is Canada Day?
- Today is Canada Day!
- Canada Day takes place every year on July 1.
Meaning of Canada Day - What is Canada Day all about?
- Canada Day is the date when the nation of Canada was born.
- Back in 1867 three provinces – Scotia, New Brunswick, and Canada province – were officially turned into one huge country under the Constitution Act.
- Of course ‘Canada province’ didn’t survive and was instead split into Ontario and Quebec with the whole country being called Canada.
- Despite Canada coming into existence as a country under the Constitution Act, it didn’t actually gain its full independence from the British Empire until 1982. Yes, 1982.
- That happened when the Constitution was repatriated, although the Queen remains the monarch and Head of State in Canada.
I’m not an American! I am a Canadian. I come from a “nice,” thoroughly unrealistic country.– Matthew Fisher
From the Previous Canada Day Events and Celebrations
- Dominion Day was a public holiday that was established on July 1 in 1879 and is meant to be a celebration of being Canadian.
- However, it didn’t catch on properly until around 1917 (the 50th anniversary of the Constitution Act) because many people in Canada still identified as British citizens.
- The Canadian parliament attempted to rename Dominion Day but it didn’t really work out as nobody could agree what it should be called instead.
- Over time – especially around the 100th anniversary of the constitution in 1967 – the day started to be referred to as ‘Canada Day.' This was made official in 1982 so Canada now kinda has both.
Canada Day Images, Pictures, HD Wallpapers with Quotes - Happy Canada Day
After being in captivity for so long, I can’t begin to describe how wonderful it feels to be home in Canada. – Amanda Lindhout
Best Canada Day Quotes - TOP 10 Canada Day Quotes and Sayings by Famous People
- 1) Canada is a great country, one of the hopes of the world. Jack Layton
- 2) My dream is for people around the world to look up and to see Canada like a little jewel sitting at the top of the continent. Tommy Douglas
- 3) Canada is the essence of not being. Not English, not American, it is the mathematics of not being. And a subtle flavor – we’re more like celery as a flavor. Mike Myers
- 4) For our immediate family and relatives, Canada was a land of opportunity. Sidney Altman
- 5) Canada has always been there to help people who need it. Justin Trudeau
- 6) It is wonderful to feel the grandness of Canada in the raw. Emily Carr
- 7) Canada and space are a natural fit. Marc Garneau
- 8) My upbringing in Canada made me the person I am. I will always be proud to be a Canadian. Jim Carrey
- 9) I loved growing up in Canada. It’s a great place to grow up because – well, at least where I grew up – it’s very multicultural. There’s also good health care and a good education system. Ryan Gosling
- 10) Canada’s the best country in the world. Justin Bieber